This whole baby business adds on a new dimension to your life.
And it adds in a whole new set of vocabulary as well; well let's say two sets if you don't already speak baby. For me, I'm good with languages, I speak English, Cantonese a little Chinese and Thai but Baby is pretty challenging. I also found out that I have hidden talents. I am able to produce up to 300ml of milk/3hours. Not bad for a first time cow. But seeing the progress in which i'm making, and taking into consideration i'm a pretty fast learner, I might consider a career change.

obsessive compulsive checking - thank god for my Avent manual pump

milk dud
Some people say i'm lucky... to be able to produce so much milk for nate. I've even earned myself the reputation in Mt. Alvernia Hospital as the "mommy with a lot of EBM". However they don't see the pains that I have to go through to ensure i don't get engorged breasts. They HURT like hell. And this one time, I had a blocked milk duct, and it drew a temperature of 39.3 degrees celcius out of me. Did I forget to mention that just before the fever hit, I was shivering my arse off. NOT FUN. Hey you know the irony of all this? I can't drink a single drop of milk myself - but yes I know.. cows don't drink milk; they drink water.
Three weeks on and things are looking better. My over productive milk factory has watered down a little (no punn intended) but things are more managable. I'm producing a little less, but enough for freezing for future use and daily consumption.
Disclaimer: Don't be fooled by all the glamour advertisements you see about breast feeding. Truth is its messy, you get your shirts wet and stained, milk all over your pillows and you smell like a walking lactose thingamabob if there's such a thing.
But things get better and I'm still for breastfeeding.
Glossary:
EBM - expressed breast milk
BF - Breast fed
CF - Cup fed
and check this one out. I still can't figure it out. When the doctor asks you " is nate fully breast fed?" I say sometimes, thinking that breast fed meant feeding straight from the breast but apparently it doesn't matter if it goes into his system through a bottle or from your tits. What they mean when they say that is that He's not on any other formula milk.
Just so you know.

1 comment:
hey maye, i think its fantastic to have both parents photographers. u get good photo documentation of your babe and never ever have to rely on weird family shots. I am enjoying the visuals of your pregnancy to birth to milking from day one. I wish u and terrence the best with nate.
hope to see u soon!
Post a Comment