Monday, July 13, 2009

The day had come

So the day had come when my beloved car broke down. This is prolly back-dated news from a month back.
And of all places and timings, it had to be on the first day of work for my sister-in-law, (she was in my car at that point otherwise this would have been useless information) and while I was just getting onto the highway. My car was travelling fine early in the morning. Later on the highway, nothing seem to happen when I stepped onto the accelerator. The gears weren't engaging... I kept to the left lane and thought that if anything were to happen, it would be good to stick to the left cause cars wouldn't be travelling too fast on that lane. At this point, my car would travel at a comfortable speed of 60km/hr still (slow but at least it was still moving)... until we came to the climb up benjamin shears bridge.. I found myself slowing down and worrying that we'd start rolling backwards due to the lack of power. I started picturing myself cycling up that bridge during the 70.3 ironman race a couple of months ago and would prolly be moving faster when I couldn't help but start to giggle. Cars were passing me and looking at me as if I were some typical silly woman driver who didn't know how to step on it. You can only imagine the kind of relief I had when we reached the top of the bridge and started rolling DOWN. At the bottom of the hill, my car had lost all power to accelerate and all i could think off was to get off the highway. Lucky thing for me, the first exit was to Marina South. At least if i crawled there, my sis-in-law would have higher chances of grabbing a taxi and I would be out of harms way. We got off and the moment we did, the car stalled altogether.
Thank God for AA.
They managed to get me a tow truck but it had to be an hour later, so for that hour, I had to direct traffic which consisted of heavy vehicles making their way to the IR construction site.
I even had policemen on petrol come by later and set up road diversions for me. They said that they wanted to ensure my safety, and I don't doubt that but I also strongly believe that they didn't want to take the risk of having a stalled vehicle "hang around" in a high-risk, sensitive area where the casinos and integrated resorts were being built. I appreciate the help and their attitude towards assisting me otherwise. Anyways, my car is dead. And it's been scrapped. I miss it dearly but it's about time I get something a little more practical with more trunk space and a couple more doors with the kid and all in tow nowadays. It would have cost me close to $10 000 to fix. I've never owned $10 000 in my life.. Thank god the scrap value for my car was enough to pay off the remainding bank loan and still left me a little more to place as downpayment for the new car. Now for the wait of my new family-friendly car. But i'm still staying away from being a soccer-mom.

No comments: