Sunday, August 29, 2010

WHY? OH! GEE...

Or the correct version is Y.O.G (Youth Olympic Games) which just ended a couple of days ago.

Here are some images (above) that I shot during the games. Don't mind the Associated Press watermark. For copyrights la. As for the Opening ceremony photo of Darren running with the torch, that's a different frame from what I filed.

It was 2 weeks of hard labor for us photographers, dragging all the lenses we have (300mm, 400mm, 70-200mm, 16-35mm, EOS 1D Mark III, EOS 1D Mark IV, EOS 5D Mk II, extra batteries, flash, remotes, clamps, CF Cards, Laptop, Power cables, CF Card Readers, Locks, Water-Proof gear) I bet there's a lot more stuff which I missed out on.

Needless to say, we all have bad backs right now. I feel like my body has gone through some really hard labor in fact, I honestly feel more physically tired now than after I had given birth to Nate. Honestly. I also fell one day after missing a step and sprained my ankle with all that camera weight on my shoulders. There was no way I could counter my fall. Resulting in a wet butt from the rain! But we had big Photo vests which were compulsory and it covered my fall evidence while shooting table tennis.

I started craving for carbs, like fried rice, anything with rice. It's like coolie food. And I understand why.

Having said that, I feel like efforts to cover this event has paid off. I'm happy with my coverage and the opportunity to shoot world class sports. Yes it was world class. These are your future Olympians, the same faces you will see in the next Olympic Games, in fact some of the athletes like in Gymnastics, or Diving, are at their peak at this age-group. They were such pleasure to watch out there.

At first, we were all pretty skeptical and cynical about the Youth Olympic Games. It was to me, something that would be like a school event. But I was so wrong.

I think that this has been a very good thing that happened to Singapore. Everyone was involved, volunteers were given a chance to be part of history.

I'm sure when the Olympics started out, it didn't receive that much attention, and in fact, i'm sure it received a lot of skepticism. But look at it now... Many years later, after all that recognition and attention it gets, everyone wants to be part ot it. I'm sure the same will happen.

On my part, I was given directive to cover this as highlights. We didn't have to chase every medal and every action.

I decided to use this as a testing ground. A chance to shoot sports the way I have always enjoyed sports for its beauty, its rhythm, and flow. No need to worry about tight bright and wide action and jubilation shots as we always do. Also a good chance to try shooting some of the sports I would otherwise never be able to shoot again in Singapore. Best time to learn. If it fails, no one will know!

I told myself. I can either not care at all and just cover some pretty looking sports or I could do something completely different and make it work.

There was quite a bit of self motivation involved since no one cared about the Youth Olympic Games. And like I said, it paid off.

I was so encouraged when my desk started moving the photos that were taken worldwide, reinforcing my passion as a photographer to continue doing different things with my images. I'm very encouraged at the culture of photography which is being accepted out there today. And it also reinforces the fact that interesting photos can always be made out of most situations if you try hard enough.

Having said that, there was also a fine balance in being arty and self indulgent.

I know I gained something from this games along with many many hundreds of other volunteers that put their heart and soul into really being part of this historical event.

And to all those of you who can't seem to see past yourselves and the small inconviniences that you may have suffered because of road closures or venue closures, I say move on and try to be more positive.

So let's see what the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China 2014 brings!

Congrats Singapore. I am proud.

More images can be found at www.apimages.com

8 comments:

Van said...

Wow...got some nice shots here, makes me feel inspired to try it out, like photo 2 and 7 :)

vinny said...

Maye-e,

Really enjoyed looking through your photos, they are really gorgeous! Thank your for continuing to inspire us as well.=)

Charlene said...

Love your work Maye-e. These are brilliant photos. That top one was credited incorrectly in the Big Picture though: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/singapore_2010_youth_olympics.html

:(

maye said...

heya Charlene thanks for the compliments. No it was correct. That photo was also taken by Adam from Getty. He was the only other photographer who caught that moment i believe.

mummybean said...

these are such amazing shots! thanks for helping to make the YOG come alive. i too thought it would be like a school event, but the action turned out to be really amazing. i totally enjoyed it, and my husb wished he was out there doing what you guys are doing! haha.

jessica said...

Hi Maye-e, great to read some updates and i love your pictures!

I was very skeptical about the whole YOG thing when it was in its planning stage. But I'm glad Singapore had the courage to host it and to provide a platform for the young athletes. And I must say these youths have taught us a few things. And I'm damn proud to be a Singaporean.

Gill said...

Wow, girl, amazing photos!!

Gill said...

Wow, girl, amazing photos!!