A store vendor leans against a wall plastered with posters highlighting sentences with correct grammatical structure during the launch of the "Speak Good English" movement, an intiative of the government which launched 10 years ago to encourage Singaporeans to speak Standard English that is universally understood, Tuesday Sept. 7, 2010 in Singapore.
(AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)
OK that was the caption I wrote when I sent my pictures to my desk up in Tokyo, which then checks through my captions and does whatever they need to do before distributing it WORLDWIDE.
No problem with that EXCEPT when the Editor for the day decides to rephrase my caption to this:
A store vendor leans against a wall with posters put up on to campaign the 'Speak Good English' movement, the government has launched 10 years ago to encourage Singaporeans to speak Standard English which can be universally understood, in Singapore, Tuesday Sept. 7, 2010.(AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)
When I was told about it just now, my reply to my dearest boss who wanted to share a laugh with me was ..... "Excuse me while I go hit my head on the wall!"
It's really quite ironic isn't it? Now people are going to think that yes.. Singaporeans need a lesson or two...
Aiya. how can like dat one?!
2 comments:
ya lah... how can like dat one?!
oh god! haha that's so ironic!
Post a Comment