Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Being photographed

Shot this during the Vivienne Westwood Autumn/Winter 2009 Collection Fashion Show
I'm so used to being the photographer, the one that's out of the picture, behind the scenes that I guess it's really easy for me to overlook the fact that some people do shy away from the camera when it's pointed at them. Some feel uncomfortable, some suspiscious. There were even times when I would nearly get into an argument with the subject i'm photographing because all I want to do is just get the assignment over and done with.. So what? No one is going to recognise you. Just be natural.. Don't worry you look ok... Before I get into impatient mode, I have to remind myself that if I was on the other end, I'd feel a little conscious as well. Just something I was thinking about when I brought my son to the clinic which is located in the hospital and I had to get my temperature taken during this Swine flu period. The only time i've been to a hospital during this swine saga was when I had to photograph people getting their temperatures taken.
This time, it was my turn.
There wasn't any media around but I wondered how i'd feel if there was some photographer there just snapping general pictures with me in it.
Uncomfortable. Which then got me thinking a little more about the people on the receiving end of my lens.

No comments: