Saturday, June 26, 2010

Fry-day

So what luck could I have had yesterday afternoon when I had decided to go to the fish shop to pick up some snails for my puffer fishes? Apparently about 50x the norm.

There was a new import of Veiltail Balloon Molly fish at the aquarium and I did think they looked kinda cute.

I was toying with the idea of getting a pair for my office aquarium when another customer comes in and falls totally in love with the school of fish. He asked me if I wanted to buy the only blue and red coloured fish otherwise he'd buy it. Being undecided, I let him have it.

After walking around a bit I had decided to go fish one out for myself. Out of the 20 fish, I was attracted to this "Freckled" looking Molly, who was FAT. I thought it was fat because of its _ well, name. Balloon Molly.

About 5 minutes later, as we proceeded to check-out, the owner of the aquarium pointed out that it was birthing. I was over-excited at this point. I have seen baby fish, seen pregnant fish but never seen the process in which it gives birth. And witnessing it was amazing.

I, of course had to go against all my rules and buy yet another small glass tank to house these fish fries of which I will pass some to my sister-in-law. Let's see how they go and interested parties can drop me a note in my comments page.. I've never done this so let's hope they survive.

What luck I must have had with this aquarium (more stories to come about how gracious the owner is at this humble little fish mart.) So I made my way home, as quickly and carefully as I could....

Slowly separated the mother and babies, and watched her pop close to about 50 fry in a whole of 3hrs.

Naturally, there were some still-born, there were some embryos which were unformed but they were all part of nature which never ceases to amaze me.

My friend made an interesting point last night: "Whatever we have in our bodies, something as small as an ant has it too! - God is Amazing."

Yes He is.

3 comments:

avoidance said...

That looks like a cross between a molly and a goldfish! Are they hybrids?

Joan said...

50 fries! So many! I suck at keeping fish alive. I was looking at your aquarium today though -- me likey very much.

maye said...

oh no actually there were slightly more than a 100 frys!!1