My assignment yesterday entitled me to a free sex education. NO it's not what you think... shame on you for thinking dirty (: heh. It was however, an assignment where I got to witness a sexing procedure of Turacos for breeding purposes.
They were using scopes to examine the sexual organs of these birds at the bird park. It's a really cool profession, to be a veterinarian. Being able to get a handle of the little hearts, lungs, feathers, eyes, tongues and reproductive organs of animals and in this case, birds. At some point Dr. Melodiya (the resident vet) allowed me look through the scope to watch a beating heart! I even got to call the sex of a Livingstone Turaco.
There were so many questions I had, like, where she knew to stick the probe in, where they would tattoo the birds after finding out if they were male or female and the old question of where eggs come from and how eggs form.. All these were answered and I felt so enlightened.
I admire her job but I love my job too. Ahhh just another day at the office. (: Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment