Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mothers are not human and Maye confesses

When I had my sinus operation 2 Thursdays ago, I think I had my patience cut out along with the rest of the bone structure.

Dr Chan must have because i've become strangely impatient with Nate of late. (ignore the fact that even rhymes i'm trying to be serious here!)

It may be coupled by the stress of moving but I don't see how that happens because i'm more excited and find the whole moving and seeing your home evolve process, a theraputic thing instead.

Motherhood is humbling and it makes me wonder how women do it.

I am one, - a woman and a mother - but let me write this as a third person right now.

I really start to be more tolerant to screaming mothers. I also appreciate why women who look like they never got out of their out-of-bed looks because there sometimes just isn't any energy left in them to do anything else when most of their time is spent minding someone else's out-of-bed routine.

I used to look at a woman who was screaming like she was so un-classy in the middle of the shopping mall for her kid to "STOP PLAYING AND COME HERE!", and I would tell myself... "Never Maye, Never."

FAT HOPE.

If you hear a loud voice shouting for "Nate" or any random boy to "COME HERE!" topped off with an even louder "RIGHT NOW!", yes, it's prolly me.

And that whole bribery thing, yes. I'm guilty of it too.

I'm guilty for bribing Nate with a surprise "Bae-blade" toy if he behaved.. hang on let me put that in present tense : If he behaves well on Thursdays, and listens and is attentive during his Yamaha music class. Oh and to top it off, I buy him a chocolate cake after class, even if he has a cough.

Then there are mothers who look prim and groomed and cool as a lady in that recent "Motherhood" magazine cover, carrying her designer diaper bag and has just had her hair set, and nails done. - She must have a real low blood pressure and no snort dripping down her left nostril from a sinus operation.

They exist.

So tonight I have decided that women like my mother are amazing, those mothers who have brought up their children tearing their hair out _ whom I have secretly hated to become, and to those women who are all that and are able to look like Susan Sarandon, and smile, battle it all inside and keep their sound decimals lower than that of a whisper while disciplining kids and still not loose their tempers at their hubbies, you are my biggest heroes.

So Thank You Nate, for watching me cry after feeling the guilt of screaming at you and secretly feeling like kicking you sometimes

Thank you for teaching me to appreciate my own mother.

Thank You for teaching me 10 more ways to say NO to you which includes the answer "Yes".

Thank you for giving me a reason for not being able to comb my hair now - because I never bothered to do so before anyways (:

1 comment:

meiyi said...

you go girl :) *HUGS* now i really wonder who i'll become if i ever have a kid. i'm so glad you are able to process all this n get to know yourself better. It really is a good place to be!