Monday, March 08, 2010

Be Empowered by Canon

In conjunction with International women's day, Canon launched its campaign BE EMPOWERED.

I was invited to give a little (just little) talk during a seminar held yesterday and all I can say that it was awesome being around so many budding female photographers.

It's really encouraging to see so many women taking up the "sport" or "hobby" of photography. I had a great opportunity to share my experiences as a jounalist which I think is very important.

Most often, during and assignment, its the process and the journey which grows us and humbles us. That's what I really love about my job, aside from all the other fun stuff that we get access too. Personally it challenges us as well. We're put out there in the open, with reality thrown at us sometimes and faced with an open canvas, we're expected to communicate to the rest of the world our interpretation.

Being able to balance that and not be indulgent about it is the biggest challenge i'm sure most of us journos face and that itself is a kind of empowerment as well.
Fellow speaker and fashion photographer Jing Na
Ching Yee, my friend from sailing 15 years ago
Valerie, my long lost younger sister ( i took care of her when she was 7 - school buddy system)
The best part of the seminar was catching up with some unexpected old friends.
To all you women out there, just keep shooting. It's digital anyway. Don't like it, delete it. And no one's gonna grade you so what's there to worry about?

Thank you all for coming and all of the Canon team for putting this together, recognising women in photography.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I've been reading your blog for quite a while now so it was an added bonus to find out that you'd be speaking at the seminar. I had a most enjoyable time listening to your funny anecdotes and viewing your inspiring photographs. I appreciated the tongue-in-cheek humour.Thank you for a wonderful time!

P.

PS Nate is a sweetheart! :)

maye said...

Hi P.
Hey thanks for your comments.. there are a lot of other jounalists out there with way more exciting and humbling experiences than mine. But i'm glad that we can all do our part in educating each other in different ways.. NATE is NAUGHTY. sweet but naughty. next time, come say hi ok? and do drop in anytime.

best
maye

maye said...

Hi P.
Hey thanks for your comments.. there are a lot of other jounalists out there with way more exciting and humbling experiences than mine. But i'm glad that we can all do our part in educating each other in different ways.. NATE is NAUGHTY. sweet but naughty. next time, come say hi ok? and do drop in anytime.

best
maye