Friday, March 27, 2009

Foo Jia Wen, our family talent

About 18 years ago, I remember visiting my 2 year old cousin Jia Wen at East Shore hospital.. the little girl was standing against the wall, a real sick chicken but cheerful as ever. She was the baby of the family. My little cousin who's not so little anymore. I found out recently through a close friend of mine, Carol, that Jia Wen was in her Fashion design class at Temasek Polytechnic and into her final year of school... She was "a dream student", "neat, on-time with assignments and talented as well". When I heard that, I was extremely proud. Not only because i'm alumni at Temasek Polytechnic's School of Design but she's my cousin. Yay. I almost couldn't picture her being all artsy and conceptual. I know how hard it is in TP school of Design. They don't allow students to be indulgent. You can be artsy but you have to have concepts that work and have depth. I've been there and i've suffered and came out of it alive. So I could only imagine how good she was to receive feedback like that. Tonight, I went to support Carol and Jia Wen, at their Diploma Show, which showcases her final year work. I was blown away. Her line of clothing was inspired by old houses and architecture and textures.. Her concept, Ugly.Beautiful (see her works here) She's a natural talent and she's gonna rock the industry. Her work is precise, neat and of very high quality. I'm so proud of you and friends, look out for her works in the near future. (:

No comments: