Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Us "LOCAL" photographers...

So this happened yesterday during our shoot of the HSBC Women's Champions Golf tournament press conference photo opportunity.. We were standing on Cavanaugh Bridge huddled at the end, standing in rows, trying hard not to block one another as we shoot World number one golfer Lorena Ochoa and some other golfers riding trishaws across the bridge towards us. Perfect scenerio of the international stars in Singapore right? Actually a little corny but editors love it. SO.. Straits Times photographer, some other papers, the wire photographers such as AP, AFP, EPA, stand together in the 2nd and third rows, giving each other enough space to shoot. In front of me were two western photographers, i believe one of them was from Getty and the other was shooting for World Sport Group or maybe Getty as well. I really don't know and don't care. We're all there for the same purpose anyway so it doesn't matter. Everyone is there because we earned our spot in our job and obviously understand each other's needs for shooting.
So this is when it happens.
The English photographer in front of me says in a loud whisper to his other western friend, thinking no one can hear him or understand his english accent: "If any of these locals jump in front of me, they're definitely getting an elbow.." snigger snigger..
I WAS SO INSULTED.
I had to run that line through my head again because i really couldn't believe what I heard.
I work with people from all over the world in the AP and we have so many english, australian, americans working in ASIA and they NEVER EVER refer to their local colleagues as "LOCALS".. they call them "photographers" or "these guys".
So i blurted out to my CHINESE and MALAY very competent and talented colleagues: "Did you just hear that racist remark?"
His friend then hears me and tries to defend him by saying: "He's kidding.. NO really. He's seriously kidding." All i could reply him was: "I'm a local wire photographer. What does that make me? Hybrid?!"
And that was it.
Totally uncalled for, tactless and totally unecessary.
Sigh. I was uncomfortable about it inside but decided to let it go. We've got 4 more days of intense golf to cover and i'm picking my battles.

No comments: