I was made to take classical piano lessons since I was 5 or 6 (that's considered late) and as I grew older, I started appreciating it more. Sure. There were times when I didn't have the energy to practice and would dread having to drag myself to piano lessons - actually my piano teacher lived right next to my grandmother's home where I was everyday after school so I don't really know what the fuss was all about. I finished my ABRSM theory and practical lessons by the secondary school and would have gone on to do a degree in music pedagogy if not for photography. I then stopped lessons and started playing by sight reading and well, mostly by ear. Tried my hand at a little jazz and got distracted by boys. Started self teaching on the guitar and even got cosy with a cello for a while. Always wanted to learn a woodwind instrument, either a clarinet or a piccolo but never got a chance too ( I will persue). Now we've moved and I have no piano and I miss it very much. However, i've always been greatful to my parents who never forced me to do anything. No art classes or ballet lessons or swimming classes but introduced me to just one humble music class which I stuck to for 10 years.

Levy's Scores and a sharpie!
But music to me, is more than just scores and history. Its a form of expression and a universal language understood by all. Learning the piano set a good grounding for my understanding and appreciation of music of all genres. It also allowed me to pick up any other instrument without difficulty. There's something about a happy tune that I hum all day at the back of my head. I'm no singer but I love to hum a tune. It keeps me together.Tonight, following Paul Ponnudurai's suggestion, I dragged Terence out to attend Jazz at the Arts House with me. It was awesome. Everyone was there including Uncle Tommy and his wife Siew Eng who were hosting people from the American Embassy tonight. A gathering of 3 jazz musicians whom I regard as Genius. Howard Levy (from Chicago), who plays the Harmonica and Piano, Jeremy Monteiro ( from Singapore ) who's a well known jazz musician and cultural medallion receipient who also croons and plays the piano and Paul Ponnudurai ( malaysian, resident musician at Harry's @ Esplanade) on guitar and vocals.
Listening to them jamming left me with a smile so wide, I could crawl out of my mouth starting with my inerts. It was awesome. It was refreshing. It made me realise how dull and flat my life would be without music. Music creates a separate dimension to life altogether. I'm so glad I went because it has re-kindled and inspired something in me. (: Joy.


Levy's Scores and a sharpie!
But music to me, is more than just scores and history. Its a form of expression and a universal language understood by all. Learning the piano set a good grounding for my understanding and appreciation of music of all genres. It also allowed me to pick up any other instrument without difficulty. There's something about a happy tune that I hum all day at the back of my head. I'm no singer but I love to hum a tune. It keeps me together.Tonight, following Paul Ponnudurai's suggestion, I dragged Terence out to attend Jazz at the Arts House with me. It was awesome. Everyone was there including Uncle Tommy and his wife Siew Eng who were hosting people from the American Embassy tonight. A gathering of 3 jazz musicians whom I regard as Genius. Howard Levy (from Chicago), who plays the Harmonica and Piano, Jeremy Monteiro ( from Singapore ) who's a well known jazz musician and cultural medallion receipient who also croons and plays the piano and Paul Ponnudurai ( malaysian, resident musician at Harry's @ Esplanade) on guitar and vocals.
Listening to them jamming left me with a smile so wide, I could crawl out of my mouth starting with my inerts. It was awesome. It was refreshing. It made me realise how dull and flat my life would be without music. Music creates a separate dimension to life altogether. I'm so glad I went because it has re-kindled and inspired something in me. (: Joy.



No comments:
Post a Comment