Monday, December 06, 2010

Champion material

Today, I met a sporting legend.

The first track and field hero that i've ever known in my life, Carl Lewis.

He jumped a record 8.87-meters in the Long Jump event.

They stuck a sticker of the sand pit and real distance which Carl had jumped on the floor of the Nike store at Wisma Atria and boy was it far! I can't imagine how he did it.

There was one consistent thing which he said when asked how he won so many medals and how he would always perform so well under pressure--

He said that the main thing that one needs to do is not focus on the medal.

Focus on the process and the results will take care of itself.

I've heard this phrase so many times and it is so true.

We used to be brainwashed with this by our sports psychologist back during our sailing days and he would always highlight how we needed to think about the process and not the results.

It's so reassuring to hear these words again. And I bet it applies in the different aspects of our lives. And yes. He is ALL THAT.

1 comment:

meiyi said...

like someone told me the destination is the journey