
New York Times Lens Blog picked up a picture I file for the Associated Press

2-week old baby elephant and me (both wide smiles)

Nandong and I
2 years ago, I was told that Nandong, our 25-year old elephant at the Singapore Night Safari was pregnant.
I had plans to hang out over night with a friend that works in the Zoo to hopefully capture the birthing process.
But alas I was in Guangzhou when she popped a 151-kilogram male on November 23, 2010 at 0808hrs.
I went to visit the two week old yesterday and he was so cute.
He has yet to be named.
Nandong, and her baby were friendly and not to mention huge!
There is something really amazing about nature. Her skin was rough and she was huge and yet she was gentle.
It was also fun to see when her mother instincts would come about every time we went close to her baby.
She wouldn't get aggressive but she would hover keeping a close watch.
And it was even more fun to see when she used her trunk to help her baby move along or stand still whenever he looked like he was about to fall.
I've never met an elephant before up close - well, not a 2-week old at least.
Quiet news days can be wonderful because I get to look for my own features and meet elephants along the way?!
No comments:
Post a Comment