Friday, December 10, 2010

So looking back at my camera systems:

Ok guys and gals firstly, i'm no model (that's why i'm on the other side of the camera) and this is as real as it gets... Here's a picture of me with my RS-w1 and my Canon EOS 1D Mark IV with the 28mm on it. Just my everyday work out and I had just come back from a zoo coverage, where I also got to meet a 2-week old baby elephant. (:

So here's the thing. I've been trying out the R-straps for the past month.

More specifically, the RS-W1 (for women) and the RS DR-1 Double Strap.

I used them during the Qantas breaking news where the planes had made emergency landings and we were running around like mad chickens trying to get pictures of the plane, the passengers, the pilots etc.

My Straps came at the right time. The double strap gave me handsfree ability to move around quickly and be able to take notes and scramble around without worrying about my gear slipping off my shoulders.

My next assignment was at the 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou, where i've just come home after a 3 week hard work out.

The straps proved strong enough to carry my Canon EOS 1D Mark IV with either the 16-35mm, the 70-200mm f2.8 and the 300mm f2.8.

When I use my long lenses, I attach the strap to my lens collar.

And it's great because if i need the camera body, all I have to do is remove it from the long lens, and I don't have to worry about sticking the long lens in a bag or pouch. It just hangs off the R-strap but you should remember to cap the lens mount to protect the elements.

At the games, I found that I was using the single RS-w1 a little more than the double strap because i couldn't hang the 400mm f2.8 on the strap. I had it on the monopod most times. So the single strap was to carry another body and a shorter lens.

At the end of the day, it really depends on your personal preference and usage. Everyone has their own system.

At least I have the R-straps now to facilitate my systems. So it's best to find out which works for you.

It's otherwise really great with form and function married into the straps.

Here's something funny a colleague of mine in Guangzhou said: RS-W1 is prolly one of the first FEMALE specific camera equipment diliberately made.

Another funny thing we were joking about was that if they made the RS-DR double strap specific for women, we could think up of bras and corsets all built in!!!!! Maybe lady ga ga would consider photography.

I have a colleague and dear friend who bought the RS-5 strap and loves it. He now wants to buy the RS-DR because in Indonesia, they ride motorbikes and cover heaps of breaking news. I'm gonna be sending it up to him soon.

Do let me know what you think of yours of if you are a new BlackRapid strap owner too!!!

Exciting!
You can find BlackRapid straps here in Singapore at Cathay Photo

Here are my other blog write-ups about my experiences with the BlackRapid straps:

http://maye-e.blogspot.com/2010/11/accidental-tourist.html
http://maye-e.blogspot.com/2010/11/when-2-is-better-than-1.html
http://maye-e.blogspot.com/2010/11/strappy-issues-rs-w-1.html

1 comment:

meiyi said...

you know, i think you look real cool in this pic.... maybe rub on some dirt and wear some studs on your wrists to up it more. Cool to the max. :P