Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Nate talks back

This morning I gave Nate a small spanking because he was very rude.

I do not tolerate children being rude.

I believe there is a time and place to stand up for yourself but when they cross the line and start to become rude, I will scold and I will discipline.

So Nate got disciplined today.

He was remorseful and guilty and apologized.

Later this evening however, he started throwing tantrums and arguing with me.

He's 4. He has no right to argue and later went on to switch off the television while I was watching it because he insisted on moving on to his Hi5 program.

I gave him a real scolding and caned him. He started to cry.

Then I was so angry and started to cry too, I had to walk away.

When I was back, he was with his grandmother, and he I guess he felt protected so he told me " I don't want you."

I was too tired to react and even though I know he prolly doesn't mean it, it was not one of those days where I could just brush it off.

It was a long day and a day of several disappointing news.

But as a dear girlfriend told me, "There's always tomorrow and even if it's not better, you still HAVE tomorrow."

Thank you Audra.

Your words put a lot of stuff in perspective for me.

I'm just so tired.

3 comments:

Kuang said...

Wonderful to hear of your tales of parenthood. It is indeed quite a job and the honest insight of your blog post is excellent

jess said...

Hugs. Parenting is full of ups and downs. I've learnt that mine needs a little reassurance after being disciplined. So yes, discipline them, but later try and talk about it and have a cuddle. I think you are a great mum and Nate is such a sweet child. Chin up.

maye said...

yeah jess thanks for your encouragement.
I did and i make it a point to encourage the nate all the time. after he cools down and we cool down, i will tell him ok mommy scolded you because i love you and i need you to be a good boy. If i dont care about you, i won't scold you.
and hug and kiss and tickle and he laughs and all is better... xoxo miss you guys