Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Friday Nov. 26, 2010 Guangzhou, China

China's basketball team throw their captain Wang Zhizhi into the air as they celebrate after winning the men's gold medal basketball match at the 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou, China, Friday, Nov. 26, 2010. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)
The widey on my remote camera
When I shoot an assignment that involves finals I sometimes find myself torn.

You spend all that time shooting action pictures, pretty pictures when you know that at the end of the day, all that's really gonna matter is the jubo shot.

The what shot?

The Jubo.

The Jubilation picture, the celebration, the moment when the athlete has realised that he or she has won and jumps in the air and starts acting crazy, mouth wide open and everything else is in the air.

Sometimes, that doesn't even happen.

Can you imagine what the jubo shot for Chess would be like?

So it brings me back to my point.

All that hard work and in the end, just one picture of the trophy getting lifted is all that matters.

But these are all part of the job.

What can you do about it really?

So we put in our best efforts anyway and this match I was covering was the men's basketball finals between China and South Korea.

I felt even worse. ALL the chinese press was around and honestly, who's gonna use my pictures?

But still you got to be alert.

So action aside, I manage to catch a split second where the Chinese team who won, lifted up their team captain and tossed him in the air. And in the next moment, every other person started running onto the court and my view was blocked.

I had all of 3 frames.

And I wasn't even sure if I had nailed it.

I guess I've been really blessed to capture that 3 frames.

So the final reactions do matter and just reinforces how sometimes things that we don't necessarily enjoy work out in the end.

Which was used on the front cover of the China Daily Asian Games Supplement.

I had been feeling a little jealous seeing all the covers from Reuters and AFP for the whole games and was glad to be able to score one on the last day for our AP team.

Yes.. for the team who's been amazing. I love them very much.

Also thanks to a little bird who came whispering into my ear about making sure I sent out a vertical because China Daily uses vertical pictures for their covers.

It was also the first time I was trying out the new remotes. More on that in another post but it worked really well with my Mark IV and gave me a second view, my widey in this case.

Pictures shot on : Canon EOS-1D Mark IV, Canon EF 70-200mm F 2.8 Lens and 16-35mm F2.8 Lens

No comments: