
Vikas Krishan of India, left, fights with Hu Qing of China, right, during the men's 60-kilogram boxing finals at the 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou, China, Thursday, Nov. 25, 2010. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)

Rey Saludar of Philippines, left, watches as Chang Yong of China, right, falls out of the ring during the men's 52-kilogram boxing finals at the 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou, China, Thursday, Nov. 25, 2010. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)
The Canon 24-70mm f2.8 lens has always been my friend... I mean Fiend.It's such a heavy lens, back focuses and I only ever use it for political coverage when you need that grip and grin shot.
At this recent Asian Games however, we have found a new use for it and it shall now be known as the Boxing lens.
Funny as it seems but this really useless piece of weight is the perfect focal length to shoot boxing ring-side.
Reuters and I found ourselves using that and only that with our Canon Mark IV bodies and it was awesome.
It justified me carrying it all the way to China for a sporting event (I really was going to leave it behind) - just for this one important purpose. Boxing.
Needless to say, boxing leaves you sore in the back and neck as you lean over the ring mat and point your cameras upwards. Not having much time to breathe in between the 3 bouts of 3 minutes for 6-8 matches straight, squeezing in a medal ceremony along the way.
A rush job but a real big rush of adrenalin covering this event.
Pain but gain.
I'm still paining by the way.
Pictures shot on : Canon EOS-1D Mark IV, Canon EF 24-70mm F 2.8 Lens
No comments:
Post a Comment