
remote angle: Myanmar's Zaw Zaw Aung, left and South Korea's Lee Gyu Nam, right, compete during the men's sepak takraw double final match at the 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou, China, Saturday, Nov. 27, 2010. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)
When I thought walking on the catwalk at weightlifting and Diving was bad, BOY I THOUGHT WRONG.
Sepak Takraw was dodgy. The catwalk in the roof was old, flimsy, shakey and we walked on wire mesh. Not Fun.
So much so that we were never on one segment more than a photographer at a time and we walked on the edges.
I swear, there were moments when you thought that you were about to fall right through.. So we had one hand grabbing the remotes, the body, the magic arms and to your wits; the other hand, clinging on to dear life to the railings or whatever they were.
I had 10ft-adam behind me and Carlos B in front of me and we decided that we had to space out.
Even the boys were walking up there cautiously.
But you know, all this was done to clamp our remotes right above the Sepak Takraw court which makes for fantastic remote pictures from the top.
The mens teams would face up and do these flying kicks that make such great action it was worth the risk.
So, I leave you with two different angles. Just like I leave the games.
Bitter sweet memories. Some hits and misses.
The front real view and the overall angle from the top.
From the direct angle, i'm tired and ready to be home.
My body is broken and my muscles are aching. Not to mention slightly mentally drained.
But from the broader perspective, I'm glad I was given the opportunity to be part of a wonderful AP team, to shoot the sports that I have never done so in my life, to prove to myself that I can like the boys can, and to outshoot myself and my competitors sometimes. Also to miss out on some nice moments and to learn how to improve and anticipate the future.
Photography is a lifelong learning and humbling experience. You learn so much and yet there is so much you still don't know.
Be it a breaking news story or a major sporting event.
Its really the momentum of dialectics that comes with the job.
So roll with it, suck it in and enjoy every moment because you grow.
Thank you to the AP team, Canon and Black Rapid Strap for their support. I am a big big fan.
Pictures shot on : Canon EOS-1D Mark IV, Canon EF 300mm F 2.8 and 70-200mm USM IS lens
3 comments:
Hi Maye -e
I emjoyed your blogs on the Asian Games coverage very much. I am also a cha-bo interested in shooting sports and using Canon (but 7d) and learned a lot from your thoughts that you kindly shared. Thanks v m.
Laura
Thanks for your message Laura.
We all learn from each other.
If there are any other things you would like to know please email me at nate1911@gmail.com
Take care
Maye-E
you go girl :)
Post a Comment